With so many people sitting in front of a computer all day long, plus time sitting while driving, and time watching TV, learning how to sit properly and take ‘microbreaks’ to avoid muscular imbalances is vitally important.
Use this checklist for ‘proper sitting’ while driving a car or sitting your office:
- Sit up against the seatback with a tall spine.
- Adjust the seat pan length so you can permit a fist to pass between the front of the seat and the back of the
- Adjust the back rest in the car up and down to your comfort level. It should be placed firm against your back and
may be tilted a bit backwards for more comfort. Your head should rest comfortably against the head rest.
- Adjust your hips so that they are level and square.
- Lightly draw your belly button in towards your spine.
- Lightly push the back of the head against the head rest while maintaining a level chin.
Learning how to sit right can save you from spine complications later in life. Make sure to talk to us about assessing the way you sit and whether it is affecting your health.